Karen, one of our five daughters-in-law, gave me this recipe of Chocolate Brownies which she often makes for family occasions or school birthday treats and birthday parties. She and David live in Johannesburg and have three beautiful daughters. Can you imagine a granny to be as fortunate as I am with five wonderful daughters-in-law and ten grandchildren — nine granddaughters and one grandson? Of course, | mustn’t forget our five wonderful sons — Timothy, Jonathan, Stephen, David, and Joseph — who provided us the daughters-in-law and grandchildren — who eagerly await the next batch!
This recipe is perfect for the ‘month-of-love’ and a good excuse to once again bake them for family, friends, children, grandchildren, hubby Rowan — who loves them with vanilla ice-cream or his favorite, Esona Shiraz, and afterward moans he is putting on weight — or just for yourself. How about making a batch for an old age home on Valentine’s Day — the old folks will just love you for it!
My Recipe – Chocolate Brownies
- 250g good marge or butter
- 500ml white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 5 tablespoons cocoa
- 500ml flour
- 400g chocolate (Top Deck, Milky Bar or any other)
- In a large pot melt the butter, take off the heat and add sugar. Stir and leave to cool.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add sifted flour and cocoa. Mix in well by hand.
- Add chopped chocolate — the mixture will be very thick….!!!!
- Line an oven dish with foil, shiny side out and spray with. Spray-and-Cook.
- Put the mixture into the dish and press down and flatten.
- Bake at 180° for 20 — 25 minutes.
- Cut when cooled and dust with icing sugar.
Little Note: Will only harden on cooling.